History & Symbols

At the meeting point between North and South, East and West, Bavarians can take pride in a long and varied historical past. Southern Bavaria was part of the Roman Empire. Cities like Augsburg and Regensburg were founded 2,000 years ago.
The Duchy of Bavaria endured from the High Middle Ages to the modern era, yet several Bavarian territories were also governed directly by the German emperor (Kaiser), such as the “Free Imperial City” (freie Reichsstadt) of Nuremberg.

Modern Bavaria developed from 1806, the year it became a kingdom under the influence of Emperor Napoleon. The most renowned king of Bavaria is without any doubt Louis II of Bavaria, the “fairy tale king”, who had many buildings constructed, including the world-famous Neuschwanstein castle.

In 1871, Bavaria became part of the newly created German Empire (Deutsches Reich), becoming for the first time a federal state in the modern sense.

After World War II, Bavaria quickly developed from a mainly agricultural to an industrialized region. Today, Bavaria is a major innovation and research centre, with over 12.5 million inhabitants, and has considerable economic weight in Germany and Europe.

Bavarians care deeply about their history and traditions. Great events such as the Landshut Marriage, the Passio Festival in Oberammergau and the Munich Oktoberfest bear witness to Bavaria's past.

But Bavaria is also a precursor in environmental protection and the fight against climate change: it was the first Land to create a Ministry of the Environment. 
 

Famous Bavarians

Symbols of the state

Bavaria carries the title of "Freistaat", which translates as "Free State".  The term (in German "Freistaat") comes from the 19th century as a literary translation of the word "republic", as opposed to "monarchy". As a matter of fact, it was used by Länder who had switched from a former hereditary monarchy to a people-elected government. It was introduced to describe Bavaria in 1919, when the Weimar Republic took over what was formerly known as imperial Germany. To this day, the term continues to be used in the German language in connection with Bavaria, out of tradition. 

The large Bavarian coat of arms

The large bavarian coat of arms

The large Bavarian coat of arms looks back on a long tradition. It was introduced on 5 June 1950 with the "Law on the coat of arms of the Free State of Bavaria". The symbols depicted in the coat of arms are deeply rooted in the history of Bavaria. Each of the heraldic elements of the "Great Bavarian State Emblem" have a special meaning:

The golden lion

In the black quarter is the golden lion in a black field. It was originally the symbol of the count Palatine by Rhine. After the enfeoffment of the Bavarian duke Ludwig in 1214 with the Palatine county, it served for centuries as a common characteristic of the old Bavarian and Palatine Wittelsbachs. Today the upright, golden and red-edged Palatinate lion is reminiscent of the administrative district of Upper Palatinate.

The "Franconian Rake"

The second quarter is devided by red and white (silver) areas, with three white triangles pointing upwards. This "rake" appeared around 1350 as the coat of arms of some towns of the Bishopric of Würzburg and has also been depicted in the seals of the prince-bishops since 1410. Today, the Franconian rake stands for the administrative districts of Upper Franconia, Middle Franconia and Lower Franconia.

The blue panther

Down left in the third field a blue, gold-reinforced, upright panther on a white (silver) ground is shown. Originally it was used in the coat of arms of the Palatine Counts of Ortenburg, who lived in Lower Bavaria (12th century). Later the Wittelsbacher adopted it. Today, the Blue Panther represents the old Bavarian administrative districts of Lower Bavaria and Upper Bavaria.

The three black lions

In the fourth field at the bottom right three black, stacked and red-edged lions are depicted on gold. They are taken from the old coat of arms of the Hohenstaufen dynasty (for the first time in 1216), the former dukes of Swabia. In the national coat of arms, these three lions represent the administrative district of Swabia.

The white and blue central shield

The central shield is lozenged in white (silver) and blue. Formerly the coat of arms of the Counts of Bogen, it was adopted as the coat of arms of the House of Wittelsbach in 1242. The white-blue rhombuses are the emblem of Bavaria and symbolizes Bavaria as a whole. With the People's Crown it is also officially used as the small national coat of arms.

The peoples crown

On the four-squared shield with the central shield is the people’s crown („Volkskrone“). It consists of a golden rim decorated with stones and beset with five ornamental leaves. The people's crown, which first appeared in the coat of arms of 1923, symbolizes the sovereignty of the people after the abolition of the royal crown.

The lions holding a shield

The heraldic lions holding a shield continue a tradition from the 14th century.

© State of Bavaria Montreal Office Contact |  Privacy Policy |  Legal Notice |  Homepage
Zur Bayerischen Staatskanzlei