Head-Image

Did you know that...



Audi


Audi logo

The world renowned car brand Audi, one of the oldest car manufacturers in Germany, is headquartered in Ingolstadt, ca. 50 miles North of Munich. The name of the brand is a word play with the founder’s name, August Horch (1868-1951). 10 years before establishing his business in Zwickau he already managed another automobile company in Cologne. As the Cologne plant was already operating as “A. Horch & Cie Motorwagen Werke” Mr. Horch couldn’t use his surname as a brand anymore. Instead he translated it to latin: “audi” is the imperative form of the latin verb “audire” (hear, listen) and means “listen!” - which in German is “Horch!”.

The Audi logo – the “Four Rings” – symbolizes the 1932 completed union between 4 until then independent and competing companies: Audi, Horch, DKW and Wanderer, becoming the “Auto Union AG”. Located in Germany’s Soviet Occupation zone after WWII, the Auto Union was abolished (the Zwickau plant keeping on producing cars though: the famous Eastern Germany Trabant). Many employees moved to Ingolstadt where the DKW factory continued to operate as “Auto Union GmbH”. In 1966, Volkswagen AG bought the Auto Union GmbH with its Ingolstadt facility and revived the Audi name and logo as one of the Group'S trademarks.

In 2012 Audi bought the Italian motorcycle manufacturer Ducati.

More: www.oldtimer-hannover.de (in German)