Visa requirements

The Bavarian State Ministry of Economy, Infrastructure, Transport and Technology offers its own web portal around all work-related issues in Bavaria: (aimed at workers, employers and students).

You will find here some important information should you plan a long-time work assignment or immigration in Bavaria.

Visa questions for Canadian citizens

  • For up to 90 days, Canadian citizens may visit Germany or travel there for work without a visa. They cannot take on work or studies under this visa though.
  • In order to stay longer than 90 days – to live or work there – Canadian citizens will require a permit. Starting March 1st, 2013, the application must be filed with the German Consulate General in Toronto exclusively. Please note that visa applicants will have to provide a health insurance.
  • Canadians already in Germany may apply for a visa on-site, with the proper authority (example: Munich's Foreigners Authority, Ausländerbehörde) The Foreigners' Authority of the city of Munich offers foreign specialists and executives a specialized service in order to enhance and accelerate all foreign-related processes, from visa to residence permits.
  • Detailed information and fill-out forms for Canadian citizens:

EU Blue Card

Since Augut 1st, 2012, highly qualified non-EU citizens applying for "in demand" jobs can obtain the EU Blue Card, which fast-tracks them to a residency (work) permit.

Youth Mobility Program

Citizens 18 to 35 years of age may apply for a simplified work permit under the “Youth Mobility Agreement”. The application must be made in person at the Germany embassy in Ottawa, the German General Consulate in Toronto or the one in Vancouver, less than 3 months prior to departure. To learn more about this program, please read the Work and travel in Germany guide (pdf, 980 KB).

Equivalence of foreign qualifications

Further information