Study in Quebec

Bilateral University Cooperation

Several Bavarian and Quebec universities maintain bilateral cooperation programs wherein students can spend one semester in a partner university. The website of the Bavarian Ministry of Education, Research and the Arts holds a list of existing partnerships between higher education institutions (chose "Kanada").

Furthermore, a semester abroad is also possible outside existing cooperation partnerships. Ask the international affairs office of your university to learn more. The website of the Quebec Immigration Ministry also offers practical tools for a study stay in Quebec.

The complete list of study courses available in Quebec universities:

Student Exchange Programs

The student exchange program of the BCI (Bureau de coopération interuniversitaire - Quebec office for inter-university cooperation) offers opportunities for a semester abroad at the following Bavarian universities: Friedrich-Alexander Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Ludwig Maximilians Universität München, and Technischen Universität München.

Students of aforementioned universities have access to an "advisor" who can provide further information. To find the right contact person, click here and enter "Germany" as country of origin. 

Further information about Canadian universities:

Exchange Program for Target Groups

Foreign Language Teaching Assistants

As part of their cooperation with the Quebec Education Ministry, the Pädagogische Austauschdienst (German Learning Exchange Services) maintains an exchange program for Foreign Language Teaching Assistants through which approx. 20 German students travel to Quebec yearly. Quebec schools can apply here for a Foreign Language T.A.

Reciprocally, Quebec students may take advantage of the same program in Germany

School exchange program

The Bayerischer Jugendring (BJR - Bavarian Youth Association), in cooperation with the Quebec Education Ministry (MELS), maintains an individual exchange program for high school (Grades 9 and 10) and Gymnasium students (9th and 10th years). Throughout this program, pupils live in foster families and attend the same school as their correspondent for 3 months, on a reciprocal basis. The program is managed by the BJR on Bavarian and the association Éducation internationale on Quebec side. Read more about it here.

Bavarian students interested in taking part in this program should get in touch with the Bayerischer Jugendring.

Financial support

From the Bavaria-Quebec cooperation

The Minister-President Grand for Quebec Studies is awarded yearly to 3 to 5 students from Bavaria in order to support and foster collaboration between Bavarian and Quebec universities.  The grants of 1,500 Euros each are awarded to students from Bavarian universities undertaking a short stay in Quebec (4-12 weeks) in order to write their dissertation about a topic proving a major Quebec-aspect.

Further information are to be obtained with Frau Prof. Dr. Sabine Schwarze, Chair for Romance Languages at Universität Augsburg (Tel. +49 (0) 821 598‐2740). The website of the Institut für Kanada Studien of Universität Augsburg also lists further scholarship opportunities for study courses in Canada

Exemption of Additional Student Fees at Quebec Universities

As part of the Bavaria-Quebec cooperation, the Government of Quebec offers a limited number of exemption plans for general student fees to Bavarian undergrad and grad students, who this way have to pay only the amount Quebec-born student would. The Scientific Coordination Office of the Bavarian Research Alliance (bayFOR) has further details about conditions of admission. 

The Quebec Ministry of Education, Research and The Arts has all necessary details about admission procedures.

Further financing opportunities

The Bavarian Ministry for Education and Culture, Science and Research offers grants and travel expense funds for a study course abroad.

The international association for Quebec studies (AIEQ - Association internationale des études québécoises) offers grad students various ways to apply for a grant covering studies in Quebec:

Whenever travels and internships abroad are part of a study course, the DAAD (Deutscher akademischer Austauschdienst - German Academic Exchange Service) may have appopriate scholarships. The website informs German undergrad and grad students about available grants, ans also maintains a database containing various international study courses.

The Canadian government on their side offers "international scholarships" to foreign and Canadian students. More at